Milestones

> Milestones


Mauritian Agriculture

Milestones

1853 - 2003

 

 

 

1853, 16 November    

The Agricultural Society of Mauritius is founded.

 

1853, 3 December      

Election of the first managing committee of the Society composed of  30 members. This committee called Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture is presided by Honourable Gabriel Fropier. The first secretary is J. W. Jeffreys.  

 

1854                               

Study on the labour force in the sugar industry. Pressure exerted upon Government to increase immigration and improve labour standards.

 

1856    

Study of a project for the institution of a land bank.

 

1857    

The Agricultural Society proposes the creation of a railway line in order to reduce transport costs encountered by planters. The construction works were completed in 1865.

 

1864–1865      

In conjunction with the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce, the Agricultural Society obtains the setting up of three maritime routes: MauritiusSouth Africa by the Union Company; MauritiusCeylon also by the Union Company; and MauritiusAden by the Messageries Maritimes.

 

1868    

Interest shown for an Agricultural Bank Project, but the project will be realised much later.

 

1875–1883      

Under the impulse of the Agricultural Society, setting up of a nursery at the Botanical Gardens of Pamplemousses in order to propagate new varieties of canes.

 

1878    

The Society plays a major role in the discussions with Government that lead to the new Labour Code.

 

1879

The Society comes forward with a project for the introduction of tramways on sugar estates in the aftermath of two epizooties that destroyed many carriage animals in 1876 and 1879.

 

1893

Mauritius is connected by telegraphy to the rest of the world following an initiative of the Agricultural Society. In fact, as early as 1859, the Society proposed that telegraphic communication be established between Mauritius and other countries.

 

1893, 30 March                           

The Agricultural Society changes appellation and becomes the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture.

 

1893    

Foundation of the Agronomy Service following a recommendation of the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture.

 

1902    

The Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture obtains a loan of Rs 3 million for the benefit of planters to provide for the installation of tramways and the replacement of animal transport by mechanical transport.

 

1902    

First edition of the Annuaire Agricole published by the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture.

 

1905    

The Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture initiates a project for the setting up of a cyclone insurance scheme, which, after lengthy discussions, comes into being in 1946.

 

1908    

Inauguration of the bacteriology laboratory set up at the request of the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture and of the Medical Society of Mauritius to study the surra, an illness affecting cattle and horses.  

 

1908                                 

Foundation of the Statistical and Agricultural Informa­tion Office of the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture, with Henri Robert as Director.

 

1910    

Foundation of the Société des Chimistes de Maurice, which becomes in 1951 the Société de Technologie Agricole et Sucrière de l’île Maurice.

 

1913    

Creation of the Department of Agriculture.

 

1915    

Appointment of Sir Louis Souchon as first London representative of the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture.

 

1919    

Creation of the Mauritius Sugar Syndicate approved by the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture.

 

1925    

Opening of the College of Agriculture, as a branch of the department of Agriculture.

 

1930    

Creation of the Research Service.

 

1934    

Conference at the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture on “The economic fertilisation of sugar cane” by Dr W.H.C. Knapp, a Dutch scientist.

 

1937    

The Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture obtains the setting up of an Agricultural Bank on mortgages.

 

1939    

The Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture appoints a liaison officer to work at the Labour Department, founded in 1937, and cooperates with the authorities for the arbitration of industrial conflicts.

 

1945    

The Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture obtains the enactment of a special ordinance prohibiting the planting of canes of poor quality.

 

1947–1948      

The Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture participates in the deliberations of the Economic Commission.

 

1948    

The Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture obtains a uniform accountancy system on sugar estates.

 

1948    

Creation of a laboratory for foliar diagnosis.

 

1951    

Signature of the Commonwealth Sugar Agreement.

 

1953  

Creation of the Mauritius Sugar Industry Research Institute (MSIRI) to replace the Research Service.

 

1953, 28 September    

The College of Arms of London hands over to the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture its Coat of Arms, it's motto being “Cereri Fecundae Sacrata” - Translation: The Chamber (implied) is dedicated to fertile Ceres (the goddess of harvests).

 

1968    

Creation of the Public Relations Office of the Sugar Industry (PROSI).

 

1972    

Amendment of the statutes of the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture in order to increase planters’ representation.

 

1974    

Creation of a branch of diversification at the Mauritius Chamber of Agriculture.

 

1975    

Negotiations between the European Union and ACP countries result in the adoption of the Sugar Protocol.

 

1976    

Organisation of Expo 76 at the Botanical Gardens of Pamplemousses.

 

1983    

Setting up of the Avramovich Commission of Enquiry on the sugar industry.

 

1984    

Creation of the Mauritius Sugar Authority.

 

1984    

Submission to Government of a Master Plan on agriculture.

 

1986    

Launching of the Sugar Industry Efficiency Study to prepare the Sugar Industry Efficiency Act.

 

2000    

Launching of the Sugar Sector Strategic Plan.

 

2003    

Launching of the Non-Sugar Sector Strategic Plan for Agriculture.